First of all, I should point out that this is not my first Sarah Stohmeyer novel. I read How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True not that long ago and just fell in love. I mean, working at Disney World as a princess was my fantasy growing up so it was just a lot of fun and incredibly adorable. And so far I'm enjoying this book as well. A little too much actually. In fact, it nearly killed me to have to stop after chapter six; I so badly wanted to just tear through the entire thing. But I'm trying to stay on the same page as you guys (both literally and metaphorically) and so I had to hide my Nook. THE SACRIFICES I MAKE FOR YOU GUYS!! But I digress.
Usually discussions include more than one person, so instead of me gushing and fan-girling all over this blog, I'll shut up and let you guys talk. What do you think so far? We want to know. Here's some things to think about and to get the discussion going.
- What do you think of our protagonist, Gigi? Has she been a good narrator so far? What do you like about her character? Dislike?
- Often in the young adult genre, best friends tend to fall into very specific categories. (for example: the butt-face whyareyouevenfriends friend, the sarcastic, loyal friend, the absentee friend, etc.) Do you think Bea or Neerja fall into any cliches? And do these characters accurately portray real best friends?
- While we're on best friends, Ava seems to be a wild card. Do you think Gigi and Ava will be able to patch up their friendship, or will she end up being an antagonist? Have you ever had a similar experience? Are best friends likely to grow apart as they grow up?
- Ok. Please don't kill each other, but I have to ask. Will or Mike? And why?
- Cheating seems to be a big part of this story so far, so what do you guys think constitutes cheating? Does it have to be on a test, or could sharing answers on homework be considered cheating? Is the person who lets someone cheat off of them just as guilty as the perpetrator?
- Was the note on Mike and Gigi's permanent school records fair? (The note that says they were accused of cheating) Should schools make this a policy?
- Mike seems to think that Gigi and her group of friends are too high above the rest of the student body, and Gigi is disappointed when it seems like nobody knows who she is. Does being smart have consequences in high school? Is it possible to be both smart and popular?
- On that note, Gigi mentions to her mother that guys don't like smart girls...thoughts? (especially from the men because I'm curious to see what they think on this question in particular...)
- Lastly, I was just curious to see what you guys thought about the cover change. Which cover do you like best or think most accurately portrays the story?
Ok. I realize that was an insane amount of questions. But I'm really curious to hear what you guys think so far. Pick one question, or several, or if you're really ambitious, all of them and let us know what's going on in your head! I can't wait to join in on the discussion and to continue the story.
Thanks in advance for all you're comments and conversations! I'll see you guys sometime soon!
Oh hello there! My name is Emily, though some of you may know me as the Bookie Monster. As the name would suggest, I devour books like the Cookie Monster devours cookies. In my spare time, I like to bake cookies (and devour those as well) and dream about taking over the world. As if my book obsession wasn't life consuming enough,
I work in the children's room at my local library and I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in English. It's safe to say I'm a bit of a book fanatic. I discreetly shed a few tears on my eleventh birthday when I did not receive my Hogwarts acceptance letter and I waited seven hours outside in the rain just to get a good seat at the Hunger Games midnight premiere. I'm terrified of blood and Disney movies make me cry (in a good way). My passions include hippos, hugs, and Hans Zimmer…and uh,long walks on the beach. I'm just a normal girl with a slightly abnormal and frightfully expensive obsession. Nice to meet you!